Quick Changes to Boost Your Search Rankings
It used to be true that you could add some key phrases to the code of your site and immediately see some quick results. Oh, how long ago that was. If only it were so easy, then the search results would be nearly irrelevant. Search engines use a very complex array of information to rank sites and no one knows them all. So, sorry, there is no quick trick to bounce you to the number one spot in search rankings and keep you there. However, there are definitely some relatively easy things that you can do to help ensure your success in the search engines.
1. Have a useful site. If your site is no good, then you can expect to never show up in the higher rankings. Social media plays a part in your ranking success, so people have to find your site relevant, current and useful for anyone to start talking about it.
2. Choose key phrases that are relevant to the content on your site. If people search for a celebrity and find information about computer printers, then your site is not going to be taken seriously by the search engines or people in general. Relevant keywords and phrases give the search engine valuable information about what type of content is on your site. It also helps people searching for you to find you. Keyword research is extremely important, because it can tell you what people are typing in to find you who aren’t finding you.
3. Publicize your developments. You can have the most user friendly, perfectly configured site on the internet, provide current information that is useful to your demographic, but it won’t matter if no one knows about it. Current publicity is not only press releases, but a trickle-down of communicating with the people and the people communicating with each other. Social media is incredibly powerful. You are dependent on people’s recommendations, sharing of links and opinion of you on social networks. You have to regularly announce blog updates, product developments and sometimes even other site’s articles or products to be a part of the community interested in your business.
4. On-page optimization is very important because it helps you rank in a lot of different ways. Your page content has to be relevant to the key phrase that you are optimizing for. Search engines do not look at graphics or flash shows that interest viewers, they look at the text and the actual content. Search engines even look to see if the text around your key phrase is relevant or not. They want to see through the code of the site if the title tag, section headings and image attributes are all relevant to the desired key phrase. If they are, then you may rank for that keyword or phrase.
5. Keep it up for a long time. Search engines may crawl your site many times before it will rank. Sites under a year old may not rank, but how they conduct themselves in that year can affect rankings, after the fact.
You must consistently uphold your promise to the search engine that you are a quality site, you offer relevant information, keep up with the public interest and update regularly. Don’t stop once you reach your goals or you could find yourself starting over. Search Engine Optimization companies specialize in handling all of this activity and making changes as the search engines evolve.
About the Author: Stacy Pessoney is a Project Manager for ArteWorks SEO, one of the top search engine marketing companies in the world. A graduate of the University of Alabama, she implements and manages comprehensive SEO strategies and serve as an organizational liaison among company executives, clients and colleagues.